Monday 2 April 2018

PROMOTING KAIJU CONQUEST AND A NEW LOOK

It has been three months since I last posted. Time flies when you are busy trying to get a game to Kickstarter. Since then I had two demo days, one at a boardgame cafe, and the other at a comic book store (actual names of both withheld). The funny thing is, although the staff at the boardgame cafe were very helpful, there was no interest from the people coming in that day. They already had arrangements to play published games with their friends. So that was a bust. I have demoed my game at three different boardgame cafes now and all no success.

The comic book store on the other hand was a success every time. I started two years ago demoing the game at the store and this latest one was the third time and the most successful of the three, I think. The staff were always glad to help, and one of them was able to play the game. There was good feedback at the time, also.

So my bet is always going to be on the comic book store, unless someone can convince me otherwise and I get better reception at a boardgame cafe.

On March 23rd, 2018, I attended the first game designer's convention, called EPOC, at a local Legion. I had two games there, Kaiju Conquest, and another one currently called Galactic Conquest: The Card Game, which takes place in the same universe. I will speak more about that game at a later time.

I had four session with Kaiju Conquest at the convention, and all four were successful with two players per session, and lots of good feedback from everyone. I will definitely being doing that convention again next year.

I spent that last 10 days since EPOC working on re-designing part of the gameboard as well as removing some tokens and cards and adding some new ones. The overall idea is to keep the number of game components down so cost is down for funding the game.

This is the original board.



 And this is the new board so far.



I used coloured pencil crayons and drew in the continents and grids for the Pacific Ocean. In the original gameboard, I had a choatic set of borders, some larger than others. In this new version, the lines are laid out brick-like but it allows for movement in six directions, and the brick zones are all the same size, except for the sides where there are half brick zones.

In the original gameboard, I also had 8.5 x 11 inch Reference Sheets for each player as a guide, covering the game phases, unit stats, victory conditions, Resource cards and using Command Points. In the new version I have modified the phases, kept the unit stats and build costs, and removed everything else. Hopefully, it will make for better and quicker and fun game play.

I will let you know after tonight's first playtest.


No comments:

Post a Comment